httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Style list summary
Date Wed, 26 Jun 1996 17:25:56 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jun 1996, Ben Laurie wrote:
>
> > > Not that I have much say since I'm just now starting in on this list;
> > > and possibly some development when time shows it's face:
> >
> > As a newbie to the list you probably want to know that voting is only open to
> > members of the Apache Group, not to all members of this mailing list.
>
> Hmm. Out of curiosity, how do we define a "member of the Apache Group"?

Well, there's a list on the Web pages, and a procedure, too, if I remember. One
becomes a member by being invited.

> As
> far as I know, there's no ID card, or application form, or special
> handshake, or anything... If anyone asked me (which they haven't), I'd go
> for the IETF approach, which means that anyone on the list *is* a member.

Hmmm. In the IETF sense, everyone on the list _is_ a member; they get to state
their views. Like the IETF there is a higher body which decides what actually
happens.

I would be against free voting on this list for two reasons:

1. Time. It already takes long enough to resolve issues with the small number
of people we have.

2. Value of vote. As it stands, most people in the Group are here because of
their expertise in some area. What is a vote from a person whose only
demonstrated skill is the ability to send mail worth?

Cheers,

Ben.

> -- Alexei Kosut <akosut@organic.com>            The Apache HTTP Server
>    http://www.nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us/~akosut/      http://www.apache.org/