httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <>
Subject Re: Apache 1.1b4... where is it?
Date Fri, 21 Jun 1996 19:14:49 GMT wrote:
> > Now, it may be that Apache's requirements are simple enough that this
> > doesn't matter, and I'm not entirely averse to the idea of learning to use
> > autoconf, so I guess I'm prepared to test the waters, so long as I get to
> > step back and say "I told you so" when it becomes a support nightmare ;-)
> I have been using autoconf for the PHP module for quite a while now.  I don't
> have the luxury of having access to very many systems, and most of the PHP
> users barely know the difference between a DOS and a UNIX system.  I have had
> very few autoconf-related support issues.  The ones I have had were due
> to my own mistakes in writing the actual autoconf config file.  Cygnus
> knows what they are doing when it comes to this and have already done
> most of the work.
> In terms of code size and complexity, mod_php and Apache are probably in the
> same ball park.  I really don't think that autoconf is going to break for the
> things needed for the Apache code.  rst's threaded code may be another
> autoconf nightmare altogether, but personally I think that in the long run
> it will be much less hassle using autoconf than trying to expand the
> current configuration template approach.

Hmmm ... as far as I can see the current approach requires very little work to
maintain. I am yet to be convinced that the same is true of autoconf. I predict
a large increase in the amount of configuration-related traffic on this list.

> -Rasmus

Technical Director          Email:
A.L. Digital Ltd,           URL:
London, England.