httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@liege.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Apache 1.1b4... where is it?
Date Mon, 17 Jun 1996 16:51:42 GMT
> Specifically, I was complaining about the suggestion that caches should (not
> SHOULD) use NTP to synchronize time. Given that most caches live on
> workstations this is not likely to happen in practice, and besides seems to me
> to be beyond the scope of the spec (unless you expect servers/clients to
> actually implement NTP internally).

I agree -- I thought that Jim was going to fix that, but I guess he either
forgot or wasn't willing to risk a change without preapproved wording.
One problem we have at this point is that any new draft tends to add
one problem for every three it fixes, and right now we are more worried
about adding one major problem than fixing any three minor problems,
particularly when implementers will be able to figure out the real
intentions of the spec in those parts where the wording is bogus.

I've marked that sentence as "bogus" in my copy, so I will try to get
it fixed if the IESG forces a draft change for other reasons (it happens).

......Roy