httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Apache 1.1b4... where is it?
Date Sun, 16 Jun 1996 09:52:25 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Sat, 15 Jun 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:
>
> > > And here I was hoping to continue the tradition of releasing Apache
> > > servers within six hours of seeing The Rock (it was good), as Brian
> > > started. So it wasn't a completely wasted evening. That, and I got a
> > > Tony Turbo toy car from Chevron... not sure I should have spent $6 on
> > > the thing, but it's so cute...
> >
> > The Chevron ads are from a British company that brought Wallace
> > & Gromit to the world... from animator Nick Park who's won 3 oscars.
> > Well worth checking out are "The Wrong Trousers" and "A Close Shave".
> > W & G fridge magnets sell for ~$22 - a tad more expensive than Tony.
>
> Heck, for that kind of money I could have gotten Wendy Wagon and Sam
> Sedan too...
>
> At any rate, while we're waiting on the fate of 1.1b4, I thought I'd
> share my Thoughts for the Future, or 1.2 at least. For Apache 1.2, the
> three main things I'd like to see are, in rough chronological order,
> are:
>
> 1) Threading
> 2) Autoconfiscation

I'm still not in favour of this. As I've said before, it is nice for those
platforms on which it is tested, but awful when it hits one on which it has not
been tested and turns out not to work. In other words, it hinders portability.

I'd rather go for autodetection of the platform combined with something similar
to Configure (only better, for instance, I'd like to see module-dependant
libraries handled nicely).

> 3) HTTP/1.1 compliance.

We need an HTTP/1.1 to comply with!

Speaking of HTTP/1.1, I find the WG's attitude to clock skew somewhat baffling.
The question is completely bypassed for caches (unrealistically in my view) and
yet is used as a defence for the strategy for evaluating the strength of
validators.

Comments to this effect have been ignored. So, I, for one, intend to correct
the spec when it comes to date-stamping cached copies.

I haven't gone so far as to complain to the IESG but I'm considering it.

> I've been playing with RST's apache-XX package, and on the systems
> I've tried (HP-UX 9.04 and Solaris 2.5) it works very well. I'd like
> to see it be put into the development tree first thing after 1.1.0 is
> released, since I think threading is an important part of the future
> of web servers (in the short-medium term, at least). I mean, heck, if
> Spyglass can make their $15,000 server threaded, why can't we make our
> free one threaded? (hmm...)
>
> However, no doubt the threading package will induce major portability
> problems.

Actually, I think not. Either one of the two "nice" strategies works, or
someone has to figure out what is in a jmp_buf and manually code it. If
autoconf can do this I'll be very surprised.

> Which is where I'd hope autoconf will help. While at the
> least, we'll have to identify which Unix features (I use the term
> loosly) are needed to make the dern thing run, autoconf should (I
> hope) spare us from having to determine which systems have those
> features. And since it seems to be the future anyhow, it'd be a shame
> to spend a month (or more) making it work everywhere

I ported it to SCO 5 (on which neither of the nice strategies works). It took
a few hours. Admittedly I got it slightly wrong first time out (I blame RST for
whacky structure member naming) but an experienced eye (RST's) spotted it
immediately.

>, just to have
> autoconf come along and make all that work useless. In other words,
> I'd hope we could have Apache 1.2 autoconfiscated very soon after it
> turns threaded.
>
> As for the latter, it's probably the simplest, code-wise, especially
> since once we've got chunked transfer-coding (which apache-XX), the
> rest of being conditionally compliant with 1.1 is about ten or twenty
> lines of code. Of course, it'd be ideal if we were unconditionally
> compliant, but anyhow. And, of course, I'd perfer not to repeat the
> HTML 3.0 fiasco on the browser side, so we should probably wait for
> the IESG to approve HTTP/1.1 as a proposed standard before calling
> ourselves such. Hmm. But we knoy Roy promised that Apache'd be the
> first HTTP/1.1 server out there. However, my bet is that steps 1 and 2
> will take us, oh, at least a month or two. It's been six since Apache
> 1.0 was released. So somebody else might beat us to the first HTTP/1.1
> server.
>
> Well, my brain feels like its turning into clam chowder, which is
> either due to 1) I'm tired, or 2) I've got Weird Al on my CD player,
> and he's turned up way too loud. Probably a combination of the two.
>
> Thoughts?

Who is Weird Al?

Cheers,

Ben.