httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Garey Smiley" <ga...@main.slink.com>
Subject Re: wild prediction
Date Sat, 08 Jun 1996 15:14:16 GMT
On Sun, 2 Jun 1996 20:56:09 -0700 (PDT), Alexei Kosut wrote:

>> > off topic and a setuid free mail message..
>>
>> Oh, I really shouldn't be doing this.
>
>But it's fun... right?
>
>[snip]
>
>> are so different that existing operating systems will have to change at a
>> very deep level to truely live up to the new rules.  The three contenders
>> for this new "platform" (which could sit on existing operating systems,
>> or even by itself) are:
>>
>> Microsoft's ActiveX/OLE/COM/whatever
>> JavaVM/JavaOS
>> Whatever framework Netscape decides to push (LiveConnect?)
>
>I'd throw in OpenDoc, assuming Apple and co. can really get its act
>together soon, as it claims it can. One advantage of OpenDoc is that
>it can already use OLE peices, and within the year (so they claim)
>it'll have Java built in too. Which takes care of 2/3 of your list.
>And while I don't have the hardware (here at home) to try it, people
>keep claiming Cyberdog (Apple's OpenDoc-based Internet architecture)
>is "really cool".

You will see a fully OpenDoc enabled version of OS/2 in August. With
integrated browser (most people don't know it, but this is already done
in Warp) and Java in the August release of OS/2 (Merlin). They have
made Java, just another script language built into the OS like REXX, or
batch files.

>I might mention that (at least from what I've read - I wasn't there)
>at Apple's recent World-Wide Development Conference, they were able to
>demostrate both Java applets and Netscape plugins running as OpenDoc
>parts directly. And Netscape supposedly committed itself to making a
>version of Navigator that used OpenDoc.

Something similar was also demoed at the OS/2 developers conference.
Basically they have take telnet, ftp, email, and web and integrated
them directly into the workplace shell under OS/2. I also heard a rumor
that this is being done for future versions of AIX. It was also
rummored that Netscape has also finished a 2.0 browser for OS/2, but
want IBM to bundle it with the next OS release so they aren't showing
it to the public.

Garey Smiley
SoftLink Services
garey@slink.com