httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Survey results...
Date Mon, 03 Jun 1996 22:29:17 GMT
Alexei Kosut wrote:

> On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 3 Jun 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:
> > > BTW, someone on this list (anonymous unless he comes forward) told me
> > > that he'd changed the server ID from Apache to Netscape in order to get
> > > onto the Netscape galleria page :-)
> >
> > I know of a number of sites which have done this.  Is it time to add some
> > other hidden "validating feature"?  :)
>
> Well, there's actually a simple way of figuring it out. Check the date
> formats. If it's a server that conforms to the HTTP spec, like Apache,
> it might send:
>
> Date: Mon, 03 Jun 1996 21:52:25 GMT
>
> On the other hand, if it doesn't conform to the spec, like (say)
> Netscape's servers, it might send:
>
> Date: Monday, 03-Jun-96 21:52:25 GMT
>
> I don't know about the 2.0 servers, but Netscape Communications and
> Commerce through 1.1 do that. (Navigator does too, I think,
> still). Don't know why they don't switch... maybe they figure their
> products have less than a four year lifespan, or they secretly plan to
> go out of business in 1999, so they don't have to deal with it.
>
> I read an article in (I think it was) Time the other day about how the
> "year 2000 problem" is going to cost corporate America something like
> $750 million dollars, and only half the companies are going to be able
> to be ready in time. I dunno... if companies start charging me in 1900
> prices instead of 2000, given the current rates of inflation... I
> don't think I'd mind :)

You obviously haven't come across British Telecom's method of dealing with
negative numbers. Way back when I ran a multiuser game. One day we increased
the number of phone lines from 8 to 12 (this was back in the days when you
read about sockets in manuals and thought "mmmm they look interesting, pity I
haven't got 10k for one of those Ethernet gadgets") and BT got a little, well,
confused. They took the initial readings from the wrong meters. Three months
later the phone bill arrived. Since the real readings were lower than the
"originals" negative numbers were involved. Negative? Well, they should have
been; they were large and positive. They wanted about 6k for lines that _never_
made outgoing calls!

Cheers,

Ben.

> --
> Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>      The Apache HTTP Server
>
>       "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."

London, England.