httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Apache 1.1b2 causes mysterious, incorrect Redirects" on Ultrix
Date Sun, 02 Jun 1996 17:01:22 GMT
Rob Hartill wrote:

> Thanks for the info. I don't think we've seen this problem reported
> before, but if I'm wrong and it has already been fixed, someone will
> get back to you.

Hmmph. Maybe I really should do my pool-vetting code... on one project I worked
on (well, wrote, actually) I went so far as to link-count _and_ point-at-owner
for every piece of allocated memory (when in debugging mode). Proved to be
very useful... it was a reliable broadcast protocol with minimal copying (so
blocks of memory were passed from layer to layer and allocated with sufficient
over- and underhead to allow headers/trailers to be added) so there was _lots_
of scope for losing memory (both failing to free it and freeing it too soon).

Cheers,

Ben.

> regards,
> rob
>

> >Submitter: mcgrant@rascals.stanford.edu
> >Operating system: Ultrix, version: 4.4
> >Version of Apache Used: 1.1b2
> >Extra Modules used: none
> >URL exhibiting problem:
> >
> >Symptoms:
> >--
> >I think this is related to using the "Redirect"
> >command within .htaccess files, but I'm not sure.
> >After a number of hits to our server have taken
> >place, the server starts sending out random Redirect
> >messages.
> >
> >Really.
> >
> >OK, I don't exactly _know_ what gets sent out, but,
> >for example, I'll type
> >
> >http://www-isl/home
> >
> >(our internal home page) and I'll get transported to
> >
> >http://www-isl/sdbldfg sf/sdfg/sfgsdgsdf/gsdfg
> >
> >Interesting? Even more interesting is that the garbage
> >that is tacked onto the URL are, quite obviously, strings
> >found within the Apache code itself, but chopped into
> >pieces and assembled in funny ways.
> >
> >Sorry, I can't leave the server running this way, so
> >there's no way to show you what's up.
> >
> >--
> >
> >Backtrace:
> >--
> >
> >--
>

> --
> Rob Hartill (robh@imdb.com)
> The Internet Movie Database (IMDb)  http://www.imdb.com/
>            ...more movie info than you can poke a stick at.

London, England.