httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Usr of ".map." in file name causes problems" on HPUX (fwd)
Date Sat, 29 Jun 1996 00:56:20 GMT
Alexei Kosut liltingly intones:

> On Fri, 28 Jun 1996, Brian Behlendorf wrote:
>
> > While I think in this situation it might be better to make sure that the
> > included file can actually be included (i.e., text/*,
> > application/x-httpd-cgi or whatever) I think a fix like the below would be
>
> How would you tell? Unix (well, most of 'em) doesn't
> carry metainformation on a file's data type other than what can be gleamed
> by its filename. If you have a file called "foo.map" (ignore this guy's
> mail for a minute"), there's no way to tell that it actually has a GIF
> image stored inside, other than looking at the file.
>
> > appropriate as well.  We should at least try and prevent cores no matter
> > what garbage the server is pointed at.
>
> Nah, I think it's a feature. ;)

The only additional thing you could do is read a buffer worth of data from
the file in the hopes that it contained a header or signature, and check
for that before going on. That wouldn't help server speed much, though.
You'd still get burned reading, say, a raw PCM audio sample.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
The Abrams' Principle:
	The shortest distance between two points is off the wall.