httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: WWW Form Bug Report: "Including a text file doesn't work as expected" on Solaris 2.x (fwd)
Date Thu, 27 Jun 1996 17:51:44 GMT
  That's what it looks like. I am surprised that included
  documents get typed. should that be the behavior?
  I think this violates the "least astonishment" rule.

Ummm... you want <!--#include virtual="foo.cgi"--> to include the text
of the script, rather than running it?  If not, then the server has to
look at the types.

The prohibition on top of that, which this guy *may* be running up
against, has to do with Options IncludesNoExec --- if the webmaster
has turned that on, then you don't want to allow <!--#include--> to be
a back-door way of doing a <!--#exec-->.  If you leave that Option
off, then you *can* <!--#include--> anything, though the consequences
of doing that with, say, an imagemap are likely to be seriously weird.

rst