httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: Style list II
Date Thu, 27 Jun 1996 13:47:30 GMT
>>>>> "Randy" == Randy Terbush <randy@zyzzyva.com> writes:

>>  My vote update and the new total.

Randy> Actually, here is what I have as the current tally, including
Randy> Roy's votes. One issue that Roy brought up regarding #3 is very
Randy> much agree with. The issue of where to start the opening
Randy> brace. It seems that the whole point of choosing a format to
Randy> code to is to make the code more readable/maintainable by all
Randy> involved. Not to squish as many lines as possible onto the
Randy> screen. IF we decide to accomplish this goal by using 'indent',
Randy> I would like us to reconsider the vote on #3 since I think it
Randy> is counter productive to the goal.

Indent's not very usefull for doing development on code you have checked out
from cvs. If you're style diverges a lot from the Apache style then cvs
update/diff and so forth will be a real pain unless you run indent before
every cvs command. Fine if that's what you want but unless indent is real
carefull about doing things exactly the same way each time then you'll have
problems. It's ok for one off conversions for contributed/legacy code but
not for day to day development.

As for opening braces, I find that having opening braces on separate
lines makes the code less readable. The important thing is to be able to
see where the program flow is and having a 'while' or 'if' stand out
clearly (which it should with proper indentation) is the important thing.
Sticking opening braces on the next line rather than after the statement
makes it more cluttered for me.

if (blah) {
	code
}

if (blah) {
	code
}

--------------------------------------

if (blah)
{
	code
}

if (blah)
{
	code
}

When you get a lot of code like this all those opening braces with the same
alignement can make it difficult to focus quickly on where you are. With the
first style it's much easier to quickly see the statement that is being
"closed" since there's nothing else on the same alignement between it and
the closing brace.