httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: UnixWare (net gurus please comment)
Date Wed, 26 Jun 1996 17:47:34 GMT
Randy Terbush liltingly intones:

> > > One thing that the netstat output showed me from these UnixWare
> > > sites was a higher than normal number of FIN_WAIT_2 connections.
> > > I raised this question awhile back but did not see any comments.
> > >
> > > Could some socket guru explain what this might indicate?
> > > Is this a side effect of SO_LINGER being used?

> > > getting an ACK to close.
> > >
> > > Is our code somehow blocking the read on UnixWare?
> > >
> > One thing that occurred to me:
> >
> > How many ptys (vtys) has he got configured? SVR4 of the USL variety always
> > used to give ENOTTY when you ran out of them, and you needed to config them
> > into the kernel, build the kernel, and make sure all the special files were
> > in /dev.
> >

> Hmmm. Only 32 devices in /dev/pty??
>
> There are however ~500 /dev/pts?? devices that seem to be what is
> in use for logins.
>
> Any way to get info about the use of these resources? I did not find
> 'pstat'.

Hmmm. pty were always needed to be bumped up for X11 connections, so I'm
thinking these are socket devices, as opposed to the pts STREAMS devices.

I'm looking at UnixWare 1.0 system now, and trying to remember how to do
this. I may have to get some stuff off an old X386 development tape at
home.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Some people live life in the fast lane.  You're in oncoming traffic.