httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: fixes to assist building Apache-1.1b4 on SunOS-4.1, among other
Date Wed, 26 Jun 1996 16:03:36 GMT
  I agree with the point about conserving vertical space...

... which is the main reason I prefer K&R brace style (*not* to be
confused with archaic pre-ANSI K&R C *language* features, thank you
very much) to Berkeley:

    if (foo) {
        bar;
        baz;
    }

simply takes less vertical space than

    if (foo)
    {
        bar;
        baz;
    }

or, worse,

    if (foo)
       {
           bar;
           baz;
       }

in which the body is indented far enough to be an uncomforable jump for
the eye from the 'if', and also to pose problems if the outer 'if' is
anywhere near the right margin (in which case the 'if' body code itself
inevitably winds up cramped flush against it).  Over large functions,
this can easily make the difference between fitting on one screen and
not.

Regarding finding the actual definition of a function in a sea of
uses, you may have a point... I'll have to think about it.  NB there
are numerous 'ctags'-style utilities which address this need --- have
you tried any?  Why don't you like them?

rst