httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: fixes to assist building Apache-1.1b4 on SunOS-4.1, among other
Date Wed, 26 Jun 1996 15:37:24 GMT
>>>>> "Robert" == Robert S Thau <rst@ai.mit.edu> writes:

Robert> Accordingly, my votes on Ben's original ballot are:

Robert> 1b), 2a), 3a), 4c) [except for 3) and 4), I also put a space
Robert> between the for or function name and the leading paren unless
Robert> space is very tight on the line].

I can't remember what the numbers mean anymore and I've deleted ben's
original mail, oh well, maybe someone can summarise soon. I agree with
the point about conserving vertical space.

Robert> I particularly object to Berkeley function-declaration style,
Robert> which, by dissociating the function name from the return type,
Robert> makes it harder for me to figure out what's going on.

I find this hard to understand, how is

int
func_name(...)

any more difficult to follow than

int func_name(...)

moving the func_name to the start of the next line is hardly disassociating
it from the return type and it has a huge advantage when it comes to finding
the function declaration. It's really inconvenient to find some function
you've never come across in some file somewhere and then spend ages trying
to find where that function's actual code is. When it's declared as above
a simple grep "^func_name" does the trick and from vi a :^func_name gets
you straight to it. This is the *one* thing about Berkeley's style guide that
I have strong views about, I just find it so damn usefull.