httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: fixes to assist building Apache-1.1b4 on SunOS-4.1, among other things (fwd)
Date Wed, 26 Jun 1996 01:35:07 GMT
  I've asked him to join the list and break this up into small patches
  for consideration..

As a SunOS victim, I've long since given up on the native compiler
as hopelessly broken and not worth supporting.  Even so, some of the
guy's changes leave me totally perplexed, as when he repeatedly
claims to have removed "Pascal-isms" which are "not C" and "GNU
extensions".

Apache is perfectly good ANSI C code, and builds using native 'cc' on
numerous platforms with even half-decent ANSI C compilers, including
some (e.g. Solaris) whose native compilers follow the ANSI standrad
very closely and are pretty damn strict about it.

More generally, thorough conformance to some kind of coding standard
might be nice (though I really *don't* like Berkeley style, before
anyone else brings it up; K&R with four-space indents is what most of
the code is written to currently, and suits me fine).  However, it
does require a thorough and *correct* understanding of what the C
language looks like...

rst