httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src README conf.h http_main.c util.c
Date Wed, 26 Jun 1996 00:55:18 GMT
Sigh... the criteria I set out were:

  > With all due respect, I think the burden of proof for inclusion
  > of a patch this close to final release falls on those who want to
  > toss it in, *not* on those who want to keep it out.

To which Jim said:

  Agreed.

I meant this to say specifically that there ought to be a *strong*
justification for putting the patch in *now*, rather than in a week
when 1.1 is out the door and we can take more risks.  Perhaps I wasn't
clear enough.

If the patch fixed a crucial bug someplace, that would be an argument
for changing it now.  We don't want to distribute stuff that doesn't
work.  However, none of these:

    Make things more consistant.
    Adds some nice documentation
    Breaks nothing.

strikes me as a strong enough argument.

Also, I'm rather skeptical about the third.  You haven't observed it
to break anything, but if it did, it would probably be on some
platform you don't have access to, by the nature of configuration
management (which is the stuff you were changing).  All you have for
those is an argument that it *shouldn't* break on other platforms ("it
just renames stuff"), but I've seen better arguments than that fall
due to unanticipated problems and side effects.  (Remember 1.0.0?)

Of course, Brian is the one who originally put up the veto...

rst