httpd-dev mailing list archives

From (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src README conf.h http_main.c util.c
Date Tue, 25 Jun 1996 21:28:11 GMT
  I _don't_ see the harm in adding these changes.

With all due respect, I think the burden of proof for inclusion
of a patch this close to final release falls on those who want to
toss it in, *not* on those who want to keep it out.  The reason is
simple --- it's too easy for a "fix" to one thing to break something

In particular, I don't believe that "build issues are easily checked";
they can be messy and elusive (witness the HP-UX 9.0 vs. 10.0) business.
Even renaming a few preprocessor symbols could very well cause a problem
on some obscure platforms by, for example, conflicting with something
in the system headers which we were fortuitously sidestepping before.

A long beta-test period, such as we've been through, is supposed to
find the oddball issues like this and make sure they're ironed out.
Start making massive changes now, and you throw all that assurance

Remember --- I do agree that working towards autoconf-compatibility is
a worthy goal.  However, we need to take time to make sure that any
problems introduced by the necessary changes get ironed out --- and
I'm not at all sure we have that kind of time between now and the
release of 1.1 final.

View raw message