httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <hart...@ooo.lanl.gov>
Subject Re: "Graceful Restart" patch
Date Mon, 24 Jun 1996 09:08:16 GMT

> Guys,
>
> I've worked up this patch to enable a graceful restart of Apache. Essentially
> the idea is this: you send the main process a SIGINT (kill -2) and it invites
> the children to die politely. It then waits until they all have (which they do
> at the end of the _next_ request). Then it restarts as if it had a SIGHUP. I'm
> not particularly proposing that this should go into 1.1, though it ought to be
> pretty harmless unless actually used, but I'd appreciate it if people could
> give it a try and let me know what they think.

Ignore this if it is covered in later mail I've yet to catch up on...

Does this patch cause Apache to not answer requests while it waits for
a slow child to finish?

If so, a very slow download/upload could cause Apache to sit idle?

If apache waits for *ALL* children to be idle (letting them answer new
requests or not), could it wait forever ?

rob