httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Tom Tromey <tro...@creche.cygnus.com>
Subject Re: Apache 1.1b4... where is it?
Date Fri, 21 Jun 1996 20:56:12 GMT
>> Hmmm ... as far as I can see the current approach requires very
>> little work to maintain. I am yet to be convinced that the same is
>> true of autoconf. I predict a large increase in the amount of
>> configuration-related traffic on this list.

Rasmus> Only until the kinks get worked out and the configure.in file
Rasmus> is nice and clean.  From my experience, it has been extremely
Rasmus> low-maintenance for me.  But this point has been discussed to
Rasmus> death.  I guess what is needed is for someone to actually
Rasmus> write the autonconf stuff and add it to the source tree as an
Rasmus> alternate configuration option.

I agree with this, especially the discussed to death part :-)

I actually have written all the autoconf magic, for 1.0.5.  Right it
isn't easily ftpable.  If you're really interested in taking a look
I'll see what I can do about making a snapshot or something.  I
imagine configure and the Makefiles will have to change a little for
1.1, but I don't anticipate any problems.  (I still don't have a firm
date for when I do the upgrade, sigh)

One thing that would be useful in getting the autoconf-based
configuration really bulletproof would be to try building it on a
bunch of different architectures.  I've done 8 architectures here, but
I don't have access to some of the odder ones (SCO, NeXT, A/UX).
IMNSHO one nice thing about the autoconf configuration is that I can
do all these builds in parallel (out of one source tree) with little
fuss.

Tom
--
tromey@cygnus.com                 Member, League for Programming Freedom