httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob Hartill <r...@imdb.com>
Subject 1.1b4 bug with ErrorDocument (fwd)
Date Wed, 19 Jun 1996 18:57:14 GMT

more nonsense ?

not acked

From: Ingo Macherius <ingo.macherius@mwe.hvr.scn.de>
Subject: 1.1b4 bug with ErrorDocument
To: apache-bugs@apache.org
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 1996 20:44:42 +0200 (MDT)
Cc: webmaster@mwe.hvr.scn.de

Sender:         Ingo Macherius  <Ingo.Macherius@mwe.hvr.scn.de>
Problem:        ErrorDocument uses outdated cache document
OS:             Sinix 5.41, which is a straight AT&T SVR4 derivate
		Linux 2.0.0
Apache Version: 1.1b4
Extra Modules:  mod_proxy.c http_protocol.c
Disclaimer:	You can't check the quoted URLs because this is a
		Server within Siemens Intranet :-(
Symtoms:

I use the ErrorDocument directive to point to static custom error handling
pages in German language.
Our Proxy-Server (apache 1.1b4) points srm.conf has the following entry:

	# NEW config
    ErrorDocument 400 http://www.mwe.hvr.scn.de/admin/errors/proxy/400.html
	[...]
    ErrorDocument 503 http://www.mwe.hvr.scn.de/admin/errors/proxy/503.html

formerly this was

	# OLD config
    ErrorDocument 400 http://www.mwe.hvr.scn.de/errors/proxy/400.html
        [...]
    ErrorDocument 503 http://www.mwe.hvr.scn.de/errors/proxy/503.html

Due to (shame) misconfiguration the proxy (www-proxy.mwe.hvr.scn.de)
cached our own server (www.mwe.hvr.scn.de). So the old error pages
were cached.

I found this bug because of the following situation:
The OLD srm.conf was still active, but the pages were already moved
to the NEW location. The OLD URL's did no longer exists.

I provoked an error 403 and found myself with the OLD error document.
This can only be coming from the caching proxy, as the file no longer
exists.

Conclusion:	Before getting ErrorDocuments a http
		If-Modified-Since request should be sent to prevent
		usage of outdated/non-existant error handlers.

Virtually yours,
Ingo
- --
Campus:  Ingo.Macherius@tu-clausthal.de      http://www.tu-clausthal.de/~inim
Siemens: Ingo.Macherius@mwe.hvr.scn.de       http://www.scn.de/~inim
 information != knowledge != wisdom != truth != beauty != music == best (FZ)

----- End of forwarded message from Ingo Macherius -----

--
Rob Hartill (robh@imdb.com)