httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Logging and syslogd
Date Mon, 10 Jun 1996 16:35:20 GMT
  I vote for doing syslog() logging _BUT_ add an optional wrapper code which
  directly emulate syslog and write directly to disk. If some is a busy one or
  wants to log directly to disk, they just have to link in the wrapper code.

I vote against this.  While syslog may be an improvement for some people,
I'm perfectly happy with what I've got, as are a lot of other people, and
I don't want to deal with cruft added to the logs by anything syslog-
compatible, whether real, fake, or otherwise.

Again, I'm not arguing that syslog support should not appear; I just want
to be sure that features compatible with the current code (and without
extra overhead) don't *dis*appear.

rst