httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: pre-send API hook...
Date Sun, 09 Jun 1996 23:26:03 GMT
  I agree with Robert that this type of functionality belongs pretty
  tightly bound into http_protocol.c, but I also think API extending is
  always worth considering.

I consider it a lot.  I just don't *do* it much ;-).

(Seriously, I have found that if you have a case that seems to really
need an API extension, it may be worth thinking hard about several for
a week or two to be sure you pick the best one.  As an example, way
back when I was holding off on doing XBITHACK for weeks because I
didn't want to bury some kludge in the server core which couldn't be
used for anything else.  And in fact, the mechanism I finally hit on
--- wildcard response handlers --- is something which could
potentially have other applications which have nothing to do with
XBITHACK per se, such as a drop-in module to support funky PUT
functionality).

rst