httpd-dev mailing list archives

From (Rob Hartill)
Subject Re: expires header merging
Date Sun, 09 Jun 1996 17:39:52 GMT

>  Netscape gets confused if it gets two expires headers ("," merged)
>  in integer format.
>Maybe I'm confused, but I'm not sure I see in what circumstance it
>is legal or useful to have two Expires headers (merged or otherwise)
>in a single response --- an item can have only one expiration date.

the problem is that any script can add whatever headers it likes, then
when we introduce redirects and modules which add headers too, the
whole thing gets really messy fast. Scripts need to be able to set headers
before redirecting (internally), so I think the best thing to do is to
keep adding headers rather that merge them. If some headers are meant
to be set only once (e.g. expires) then the client at least stands a
chance of picking one good header if they are separate, and I'd suspect
that most clients would pick the last one which would be the most recent
one added.

View raw message