httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: more on ServerPath
Date Sun, 09 Jun 1996 14:12:55 GMT
  Besides, sites as image-conscious as us will probably wait until we can tell
  people "upgrade yer browser" rather than have fun in URL-space, so for
  the other 99% this is probably a perfectly decent solution.

More to the point, any installed "vanity plate" site is an IP address
which has already been allocated, so having it switch to Host: header
now won't do much to Save the Net.  So long as your new clients start
using this convention, the overconsumption of *new* IP address space
will be stanched, and that's the important thing.

As to the old clients --- it won't be too long before it's reasonable
to tell anyone without a Host-savvy browser to get with the program.
At that point (I'd guess probably less than a year from now), they can
shift without anyone noticing.  In the meantime, while it might be
nice to reclaim their IP addresses a few months early, I'm not sure
it's really worth the grief...

rst