httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: 1.1b3 and things???
Date Sun, 09 Jun 1996 13:59:27 GMT
  it should be in
  read_request_line() and stored in the request_rec, not in
  set_keepalive() - this I'm sure of, since other functions may need
  access to the information.

Agreed.

  The current apache-XX sends Connection: Keep-Alive back to the client
  in all cases, which I'm quite sure is wrong - it should only do this
  for HTTP/1.0 requests that had a Connection: Keep-Alive.

Hmmm... I'm not sure this is really a problem.  "Connection: Keep-alive"
isn't particularly meaningful to an HTTP/1.1 client, but it's not illegal,
and it doesn't alter the status of the connection (persistent by default).

HTTP/1.1 clients *do* have to be special-cased, since the absence of
a Connection header (or *any* Connection header which doesn't contain
the token "Close") signals a request for a persistent connection on an
HTTP/1.1 request.  However, I don't think the server's protocol version
enters into it.  At any rate, the version of set_keepalive in the
threaded code implements this interpretation of the rules, and I *believe*
it ought to work with both HTTP/1.0 and conforming 1.1 clients.

But I've been wrong before.

rst