httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: feature idea
Date Sun, 09 Jun 1996 02:53:53 GMT
Jim Jagielski liltingly intones:

> Howard Fear wrote:
> >

> > Jim Jagielski writes:
> > > I think converting to syslog is a Good Idea... maybe not for the above
> > > reason, but just In General.
> > >
> > > Of course, this would break the logfile-format, which is a pain (recall
> > > the fluff that syslog adds the the beginning of the line). Of course, a
> > > simple external filter can be built to remove the fluff.
> >
> > Just curious, is syslog really designed to handle the kind of traffic
> > that a busy web site generates in access_log?
> >

> Depends on the speed of the server itself as well as the implementation
> of syslogd on the system. Having access_log being constantly open is
> undoubtedly more reliable than using syslog()... How about a compromise;
> using syslogd only for error_log? Any fd's we can save may be worth it.

syslogd is only good for moderate loads on BSDs. Would it be possible
to make the choice between syslog and file logging a config file
choice? That might make all happy.

When syslog bogs down (remember, *everything* goes through /dev/log)
everything trying to log grinds to a temporary halt.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Uncle Ed's Rule of Thumb:
	Never use your thumb for a rule.  You'll either hit it with a
hammmer or get a splinter in it.