httpd-dev mailing list archives

From sam...@c2.org
Subject Re: 1.1b3 and things???
Date Sat, 08 Jun 1996 18:36:20 GMT

> Hold on, if it isn't illegal to export crypto to Canada from the US, and
> it isn't illegal to export crypto from Canada to the rest of the world,
> how is it restricted?  Or is there some agreement somewhere between the
> two countries that I am not aware of?  (not that I have ever paid much
> attention to this)  Canada and the US don't exactly see eye to eye on a
> lot of these foreign policy issues (ie. Cuba).

	This is lovely stuff.

	It is legal to export crypto from the US to Canada. It is
legal to export crypto from Canada. It is *illegal* to export crypto
from Canada to outside the US/Canada if the crypto was obtained from
the United States and is being reexported "without substantial
modifications."

	Beats the hell out of me how they define "substantial
modifications"

--
Sameer Parekh					Voice:   510-601-9777x3
http://www.c2.net/ (or login as "guest")		sameer@c2.net