httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Ralf S. Engelschall" <...@en.muc.de>
Subject Re: cvs commit: apache/src http_core.c
Date Sat, 08 Jun 1996 07:37:20 GMT
On 8 Jun 1996 07:07:22 +0200 in en.lists.apache-new-httpd you wrote:

> > > Let's take this back out before 1.1b3. 'Include' makes better sense.
> > > I'll see if I can pull it together for 1.2. (Hopefully we can start
> > > commiting stuff to a 1.2 branch _soon_ ??? )
> >
> > I was hoping 1.1b3 would be our last beta, and that within a week we
> > could feel confident enough to put out a 1.1 we felt as strongly about as
> > we did about 1.0 (actually I'd prefer "as strongly as we felt about
> > 1.0.3" but I know that's logically impossible :)  The cynic in me knows
> > we'll have a 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, but I'd like to reduce the need for those
> > as much as possible, and not throwing new features in at the last minute
> > is a good part of that.
> >
> > Include dir/* sounds like the best way, ja.  Should a common regex lib in
> > util.c be a goal for 1.2?  I think so.
> >
> > 	Brian

> Actually, I've compiled and have been playing with Howard Fear's
> mod_xinclude on FreeBSD and Solaris. Neither require a regex library
> and I'm curious just how many will. My bet is that very few of
> the systems we play with these days will require us to pull in
> another library. Seems that this should be no different than
> pointing a user to gdbm if they don't have dbm on thier system.
> Is there some reason I am not thinking about to include a regex
> library in Apache?

YES! Not every system-shipped regex library is the same!  There are at least
3(!) common regexp implementations, both with its own interfaces: 4.xBSD,
4.4BSD (POSIX), GNU, etc.

When you don't include a standard one in the Apache distribution we cannot be
sure that everyone can compile the distribution on every system.  You need a
system which has the matching regexp library and we shouldn't create such a
need.

Greetings,
                                        Ralf S. Engelschall
                                        rse@en.muc.de