httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Chuck Murcko <ch...@telebase.com>
Subject Re: Patch to mod_cgi
Date Fri, 07 Jun 1996 00:17:44 GMT
Brian Behlendorf liltingly intones:

> > Robert> [ Suggests a DirectToClient directive as a way of designating
> > Robert>   nph- scripts ]
> >
> > Robert> Hmmm... I certainly agree that the nph-prefix business is,
> > Robert> shall we say, not a paragon of elegance, but adding a new
> > Robert> config-file directive also seems a bit like swatting flies
> > Robert> with cannonballs.  Would you object to something that allowed
> > Robert> implementation of support for an nph- suffix, a la
> > Robert>
> > Robert>   AddAction nph-cgi-script nph
> > Robert>
> > Robert> or something like that?
> >
> > Doesn't help me.  I have a script with a name that is fixed and immutable.  I
> > can't change the name of the script without forcing people to change a lot of
> > URL references to the script--and I'm not in a position to force that issue.
> > So, I'm stuck with this script name.
>
> There's a way around this - make the CGI (or the server itself using
> Redirect) issue a redirect to the new location.

No, it gets weirder, Brian. And Brian Clapper will no doubt correct me if I'm
wrong. 8^)

We thought of doing a redirect (in fact, bmc tested that).

It turned his POST data into GET data. 8^(

This is a real bizarre set of constraints he has to work within.

chuck
And now, on a lighter note:
Seminars, n.:
	From "semi" and "arse", hence, any half-assed discussion.