httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: MS FrontPage Caveats Note
Date Thu, 06 Jun 1996 00:26:10 GMT
  The bottomline though is that I am going to have to pull this
  FrontPage thing onto my system, like it or not. I've got to find
  a way to sleep at night after doing so.

Thoughts:

1) The FrontPage docs you sent said that it doesn't absolutely *have*
   to have privilege to send a SIGHUP to the server.  (Why on *earth*?)
   If your users don't need the features that supports, that could make
   life a bit easier.

2) Likewise, it might help to try to find out whether they really *need*
   to upload CGI scripts.  (Yowch!)

3) Beyond that, I can only recommend frequent backups, installation and
   use of something like tripwire (we don't use it here --- the irony is that
   the MIT AI lab is wide open, and most of the paranoia that has been
   coming across in the past few days has been acquired as the experience
   of a repeat victim), and --- if it calms you any --- prayer.

rst