httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: oohh publicity
Date Wed, 05 Jun 1996 01:48:45 GMT
  ...damn, I said intranet.  What a l@m3r.

Well, call them what you like, there are a lot of web servers out
there which aren't publically accessible (either not advertised, or in
fact behind firewalls).  That's actually a bit relevant to this
particular discussion, since it's a lot harder to determine what those
things are all running, and the distribution of software variants (so
far as I know) may well be somewhat different than what you find on a
survey of publically accessible servers.

(At any rate, I generally try to mention this at least in passing when
I'm citing the Netcraft results, just to ward off evil --- not to say
or imply that their all running IIS, but just that I'm not sure what's
going on out there).

rst