httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: Authentication
Date Tue, 04 Jun 1996 20:30:12 GMT
  Couldn't we just pass the address of the scoreboard file (provided it
  is mmapped) to the wrapper?

No.  All memory mappings are tossed in exec().  We *could* pass a file
descriptor open to the scoreboard file, but the wrapper would have the
devil of a time verifying that its "scoreboard file desciptor" was in
fact open to the genuine article, and not a cheap plastic imitation...

(BTW, when tossing around notions of, for instance, reading the scoreboard
to get a pid, and then checking the real and effective uid of the process
which has that pid, could you be a bit more explicit about what goes on
in step 2?  Maybe I'm dumb, but the only information I know how to portably
obtain about another process, given only its pid, is whether it exists, and
whether you have permission to send signals to it --- both via kill(pid, 0)).

rst