httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Richards <p.richa...@elsevier.co.uk>
Subject Re: cvs snapshot. compiler warnings
Date Tue, 04 Jun 1996 10:43:49 GMT

Chuck> Paul Richards liltingly intones:
>>  >>>>> "rasmus" == rasmus <rasmus@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca>

>> platform. It >> might be nice to seek neater ways to make it
>> happen, but it has to >> happen.

rasmus> If that is the case, how about these ones under Solaris 2.5
rasmus> that have been bugging me for ages but people seemed to agree
rasmus> to disagree on how to fix them:

rasmus> gcc -c -O2 -DSTATUS -Wall -DSOLARIS2 util.c util.c: In
rasmus> function `get_local_host': util.c:1090: warning: implicit
rasmus> declaration of function `gethostname'

rasmus> There is no prototype for this function on Solaris.  The man
rasmus> page gives this as the prototype:

rasmus> int gethostname(char *name, int namelen);
>>  This is part of the BSD compatibility library and shouldn't really
>> be used. We should use 'uname' instead.

Chuck> True. Neither is guaranteed to yield an FQDN anyway.

If you do a gethostbyname() on the name returned by uname then you *should*
get a FQDN assuming that the admin named the box correctly. If they didn't
then you've had it anyway.