httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Wilson <and...@aaaaaaaa.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Survey results...
Date Tue, 04 Jun 1996 00:48:46 GMT
> Do you count Netscape servers as all Unix?. I'd guess that
> at least half of them are running on NT already.

We can't tell which are UNIX and which aren't.  Sure you can probe
other services on that machine, or just look for perl.exe in the
/cgi-bin/ directory or any one of a hundred other ways, but on
header information from 'HEAD / HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n' alone we do not
tell.

> There's very little Netscape traffic in the c.i.w.s.u group which
> would otherwise suggest a larger unix takeup.
>
> BTW, someone on this list (anonymous unless he comes forward) told me
> that he'd changed the server ID from Apache to Netscape in order to get
> onto the Netscape galleria page :-)

Mmm, I hope 'he' changed the way Apache creates timestamps for
Date:.  Otherwise it's easy to tell...

Ay.