httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: setuid control WITHOUT running as root
Date Mon, 03 Jun 1996 00:28:24 GMT
> 4) Main server config files, log files, and maintenance scripts should
>    not be in the chrooted area.  No commands which could potentially be
>    run from any cron job, or by any maintenance script invoked by a
>    cron job, should be in the chrooted area.  No .htpasswd or .htgroups
>    files, or other files with equivalent functionality, should be in the
>    chrooted area.  Whatever ordinary commands or lib files *are* in the
>    chrooted area should be duplicates, not hard links.

  Tough to do unless we modify Apache to talk to a logging daemon via
  an INET socket.

I was assuming the chroot happens after the server has read the main
config files and opened the log files.  If the server *itself* is running
chrooted, then .htpasswd and .htgroups files do have to be in the chrooted
environment; however, if we're just discussing a chrooted environment for
CGI scripts, I think it's far more sensible to stick 'em somewhere else,
just for safety's sake.

rst