httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: YA threaded snapshot.
Date Fri, 31 May 1996 21:38:31 GMT
On Thu, 30 May 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:

[...]

> 3) Highly experimental chunked encoding support (modulo my possible
>    misreadings of the spec, and as per HTTP/1.1 draft -03, *not* -04;
>    it only sends chunked response bodies on persistent connections,
>    and does not implement the draft-04 rules on default persistence
>    with 1.1 clients).  I did this to gain a little experience in
>    dealing with sfio and sfio disciplines --- specifically, sfio
>    voodoo is used to produce a stream which adds the chunk-sizes onto
>    data written on it before piping it out the file descriptor, so we
>    can get chunked output from CGI, SSI, directory listings, etc.

I've downloaded this, and it complies and runs seemingly fine, but
FWIW, I think you did misread the spec.

Going by the example parsing code in section 23.3.6, not by the BNF
itself (but that seems to agree), it says (shortening it a bit):

       read chunk-size and CRLF
       while (chunk-size > 0) {
          read chunk-data and CRLF
          read chunk-size and CRLF
       }

The server doesn't appear to send the CRLF after chunk-data. It goes
straight from the data to the next chunk-size. Hmm. Of course, I could
be wrong. Happens often enough.

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."