httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: ** mod_rewrite is able to replace 5(!) similar modules **
Date Fri, 31 May 1996 04:42:16 GMT
On Thu, 30 May 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:

>   On another note, I have yet to see any response to my patch to
>   implement ServerPath and ServerRedirect functionality in Host-header
>   based virtualhosts.
>
> I like the idea, and I'd like to see it in 1.1 if it's gotten a thorough
> workout by then, but unfortunately, I'm not in a position to give it that
> myself.  (Hands full of other eels, I'm afraid...).

You're right, of course... Soon after receving your message, I started
poking at my code, and discovered it has a good many holes, mainly
dealing with the fact hat at times, Apache would want r->uri to be
without the path iding the host (e.g. for resolving filenames), but at
times, it needs it to be with the path (e.g. for sending
redirects). Unfortunately, there isn't a point where you can switch
back and forth, since it needs them both in the same phase...

So now I've come up with a new approach, which does the same thing,
but does it from mod_alias instead of messing with r->uri directly. It
works perfectly now for the simple cases, but when you turn
ServerRedirect On, it doesn't work right for some other cases, namely
Aliases and UserDirs and things (which you don't *want* to have the
path attached to - e.g. /icons/ should work no matter what).

I'll keep working... if I come up with a patch that works right for
most cases, I'll let y'all know. *sigh* The time machine approach is
looking better and better.

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."