httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: No HOST header solutions?
Date Wed, 29 May 1996 21:47:06 GMT
On Wed, 29 May 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:

> All the more reason not to make the problem worse.  Regarding your
> other point (about providing the same Alias for both the main host
> and the relevant virtual host)... you're right; that works --- I
> guess I just wasn't reading closely enough.  However, the notion of
> creating all those double mapping really doesn't thrill me...

Nor I. But I don't see a really good solution. Any sort of
heuristic-based mapping is iffy at best - what you'll end up with is
some site creating 50, 100, maybe 500 of these virtual hosts, put a
file or directory with the same name in both of them ("images" maybe,
which is pretty common), and then they'll scream bloody murder when it
doesn't work.

Of course, you can avoid double mapping by only using the virtual host
for the root page. i.e.

Alias /apache /usr/web/apache

<VirtualHost www.apache.org>
ServerName www.apache.org
DocumentRoot /usr/web/apacheroot
</VirtualHost>

and then only put index.html in /usr/web/apacheroot and symlinking it
into /usr/web/apache. Then all your files are under
http://www.apache.org/apache/ (avoiding the double-mapping problem
except for the root index), but you can still advertise
http://www.apache.org, which is what people seem to want to do.

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."