httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: No HOST header solutions?
Date Wed, 29 May 1996 21:35:55 GMT
On Wed, 29 May 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:

>   HostGuess  www.apache.org      apache httpd ^/docs ^/dist
>   HostGuess  www.hyperreal.com   ^/raves music zines
>
> Best idea I've seen to date...

Except that it really isn't neccessary. The Alias command can be used
instead.

Alias /docs /export/pub/apache/docs

and so forth.

Actually, I've been thinking about what I said earlier, and examining the
Referer: header might not be a bad idea. Once you've come to the site,
and clicked a link, that header should contain the hostname for the
rest of your journey through the site.

The other option, which I've also seen used, is to use cookies. (ack)
Because you can restrict them to certain hosts, you can simply create
a cookie named, say, "host", that contains the name of the host, and
the browser will send it back with the correct entry. Of course, we're
back then to supporting only a percentage of clients, those with
cookie captablity (which is larger than the Host-header supporting
variety, but still...)

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."