httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: No HOST header solutions?
Date Wed, 29 May 1996 19:03:15 GMT
On Wed, 29 May 1996 rasmus@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca wrote:

> I have been tinkering with the problem of running virtual domains without
> a dedicated IP for each domain.  Obviously the HOST header solves this
> nicely for browsers that support it, but for the ones that don't, I am
> wondering what solutions are out there.
>
> The best thing I can come up with is to make the default page for the
> IP which serves multiple virtual domains a page which says something
> like: "You are using an old browser with no HOST header support, type
> in the URL you are trying to reach here: _________".  This is not extremely
> elegant, but I don't see what else can be done.  Anybody have a better
> solution?

At http://www.apache.org/docs/1.1/host.html, I outline a procedure
that gives you at least working results with all browsers. It's the
best I could come up with.

The other solution, which has nothing to do with the Host header, and
sometimes works, (but is a pain) is, whenever you get a request,
redirect it back to yourself. The Referer: header should (hopefully)
then contain the name of the host. But this doesn't always work well,
and isn't at the top of my list of reccomended things to do
with an HTTP server.

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."