httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: A vote for FreeBSD+Apache
Date Wed, 22 May 1996 04:52:09 GMT
On Tue, 21 May 1996, Robert S. Thau wrote:

>   being able to punch up Netscape from anywhere in the world and reconfigure
>   something with no hassle is wonderful...
>
> Hmmm... in the new, Java, Java, Java, Java world, it seems to me that
> Netscrape offers you the same flexibility whether your administrative
> interface is tied to web formats and protocols or not.  (In fact, if the
> server is done in Java, then making the config interface a set of Java
> applets which do remote method calls on objects within the server might
> well be the path of least resistance, using something like Horb, or Sun's
> Joe for that matter).

Point... of course, you still'd need to have a Java-enabled
browser. (looks at watch) Hmm... the first Java browser (HotJava) was
released, if I recall correctly, sometime in mid-95. Netscape 2.0 with
Java was availble for Win NT/95 and Unix in late 95/early 96. The
first browser with Java for 68k-based Macintoshes (Netscape Navigator
3.0b4) was just released last week. Never mind that it's been six
months since we were promised such a browser, and it crashes ten
seconds after you load an applet... I'm ecstatic :)

But back to Apache..

> More seriously, one of the complaints I personally hear most frequently
> about the Netscape interface is that there are certain facilities which
> the server has, but which the forms-based interface does not expose ---
> and people who want to use those are suddenly stuck manipulating the 40K
> of relatively poorly documented ASCII crud which the Netscape admin tools
> have written for them.

Point.

> (One of my own desiderata for any whiz-bang config tool is that it should
> allow people to do *anything* they could with config files directly; if that
> means reading the command tables in the server to find out which commands
> are legit, or allowing text commands to be typed in for literal inclusion
> in <Directory> and <VirtualHost> sections, so be it.  It would probably be
> for the best, however, to only display these sorts of options in a menu-
> selectable "expert mode").

Agreed. Oh, and based on playing with one of the Netscape FastTrack
betas, I have one recommendation: don't use frames. Ack.

An Apache note: does anyone know, really, what happened to David
Robinson? Rob Hartill keeps making comments about how he's
disappeared, but really... where the heck is he? He's still on the
mailing list...

*sigh*

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."