httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: A vote for FreeBSD+Apache
Date Tue, 21 May 1996 02:21:10 GMT
On Mon, 20 May 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> A comment: html forms suck pond water as a means of configuring
> a webserver... you also have to remember a silly password to play with
> it, but you can do remote admin (on a NT that's a good thing).

I'll agree, but with a qualification: HTML forms suck pond water as
the *only* means of configuring a webserver. I must say, though, while
not webservers (since I use Apache for the most part), for other products
I've used that have HTML config options, it comes in massivly handy
when you're at a remote site, can't get to the hardware, a local
computer, the local network, or even the local network protocol, being
able to punch up Netscape from anywhere in the world and reconfigure
something with no hassle is wonderful...

Of course, as a Unix server, this is less of an issue, since most Unix
machines let you telnet in... but since we do have an OS/2 port and an
upcoming NT port (maybe), I think web config might not be a bad
*option*. For clueless newbie users, too (which is the usual
rationalie for web-based config, but not the only).

I agree, though... for fun, I downloaded the Netscape FastTrack beta a
bit ago... not fun. Something else to note about any GUI config
interface: with a text-based interface like Apache's, you can have an
unlimited number of options. We can stick in a
"MakeFurryBunniesJumpOutOfEveryPageAndLaughAtTheUser On" directive,
and unless they examine the source, they're none the wiser. With a GUI
interface, it's much harder. :)

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."