httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <>
Subject Re: Paris
Date Wed, 15 May 1996 01:39:16 GMT
On Tue, 14 May 1996, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> Oh, BTW, I may have promised that Apache would be the first to
> implement HTTP/1.1.  Exact memory eludes me at the moment. ;-)

*shrug* That's easy. We could be barely conditionally compliant within
a few days. Here's what we need to do (this is based on where the word
"MUST" appears in the spec), not counting the proxy module (to make
the proxy server conditonally compliant is a lot harder, it seems):

* Change the version number to HTTP/1.1 (section 7.1)
* Be able to receive chunked POST and PUT submissions (section 7.6)
* Send a 400 (Bad Request) error to HTTP/1.1 requests without
  a Host header (section 9.2)
* Support the If-Unmodified-Since header (18.29)
* Don't send a Last-Modified header containing a later date than
  the present time. (18.30) [This is just common sense, but Apache
  will do it anyway...]
* mod_negotiation has to add (at the least) a "Vary: {accept-headers}"
  to negotated documents. (18.46)

Of course, if we add optional HTTP/1.1 features (like entity tags or
ranges or HTTP/1.1 persistent connections or whatever else is in the
123 pages of the spec) the list of MUSTs goes up. The above list is
based on Apache's feature set and the draft as specified. Most likely,
some of this will change by the time its done, so we might not want to
call ourselves HTTP/1.1 yet... but most of that stuff (except support
chunked requests) is maybe two or three lines of code.

Alexei Kosut <>      The Apache HTTP Server
      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."

View raw message