httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: Apache legal question
Date Tue, 14 May 1996 17:26:28 GMT
On Tue, 14 May 1996 sameer@c2.org wrote:

> > BTW, you say the Server field is "supposed" to be in this format - where does
> > it say that?

Many places. The HTTP/1.0 spec, for example. Although it's said it for
some time, for example, from draft-ietf-http-v10-spec-05.txt:

10.14  Server

   The Server response-header field contains information about the
   software used by the origin server to handle the request. The field
   can contain multiple product tokens (Section 3.7) and comments
   identifying the server and any significant subproducts. By
   convention, the product tokens are listed in order of their
   significance for identifying the application.

       Server         = "Server" ":" 1*( product | comment )

   Example:

       Server: CERN/3.0 libwww/2.17

> 	I am new to this concept as well. I thought server field *was*
> supposed to be
> Product-<morespecific>-<morespecific>/VersionNum

I have *never* seen that anywhere.

> 	So you're suggesting "Apache/1.0.5 Apache-SSL/1.0
> Apache-SSL-US/1.1.1" for my stuff, I suppose. I can fix for my next
> release, which I was hoping to get out today, but MCI hosage has meant
> that ftp'ing the source to my build machines didn't work. Feh.

Something like that. I think that just ensuring that "Apache/whatever"
is first is fine, and even though you're basing it off Ben's code, I'd
say "Apache/1.05 SSL-US/1.1.1" would be good enough. After all,
there's something to be said for conserving bytes (not sending the
word "Apache" three times). But that's the basic idea, I think.

      "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."