httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Alexei Kosut <ako...@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Subject Re: background CGI bug
Date Fri, 03 May 1996 02:17:04 GMT
On Thu, 2 May 1996, Rob Hartill wrote:

> This highlights a problem with the CVS way of doing things.
> During periods of rapid change, we need to encourage everyone to
> download snaphots on a regular basis.

True. But not applicable. Read on to find out why.

> >From 1.1b0 to 1.1b1 a hell of a lot of lines of code changed in a very
> short period of time, while most people (like me) just sat and
> waited for the dust to settle... it was too much of a moving target
> to test.

True. Again, but not applicable in this case.

> Apart from OS/2 and HPUX, are people seeing the bug elsewhere? is it
> on all systems?

*shrug* Happens on my HP-UX machine.

Anyhow, I just spent the last thirty minutes or so doing a whole lot
of CVS update -Ds... Here's what I found:

1. The script you gave stops working on March 1, 1996. Prior to that,
   it works, after that, it doesn't.

2. March 1, 1996 was the date that I committed the first bunch of
   patches to CVS after Paul & Ben set it up. The CGI problem must
   have been in there somewhere. That's a lot of code; a rough
   educated guess is that over 2000 lines of code changed during
   that time period (out of 22,000 in Apache total). That's almost
   10%. I say good luck finding the part that broke the CGI script...

3. In regard to people not testing... well, those patches were all
   sitting in httpd/incoming/patches for a while... I built two
   pre-CVS releases containing the patches. I made sure that everyone
   agreed that they should be included. So it may in fact have nothing
   to do with CVS. Same thing would have happened with patch-and-vote
   because, in fact, these patches *were* voted upon.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Alexei Kosut <akosut@nueva.pvt.k12.ca.us>
Lefler on IRC, DALnet <http://www.dal.net/>