httpd-dev mailing list archives

From ras...@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca
Subject Re: Ad on the www.apache.site? (fwd)
Date Mon, 13 May 1996 20:24:18 GMT
> At 02:07 PM 5/13/96 -0500, you wrote:
> >> Not that I think I have any say in this, but unless money is urgently
> >> needed for upkeep of the www.apache.org machine itself, I don't like the
> >> idea.  A project dedicated to the development of freely available
> >> software promoting commercial ventures doesn't seem right.

> >I tend to agree with your sentiment, however there is a fine line
> >between putting some other large hardware manufacturers "powered by"
> >logo on the top page, and a banner such that TB suggests.
>
> It's up to us on which side we're going to walk isn't it?  And we really
> don't have to put more than 1 ad on the first page... if someone else
> wants to give up less to be on the server doc page, then fine.... or
> have a rotating billboard on the first page.      This is a little off the
> deep end... but they're all possibilities.   And remember we do have
> final say on which ones we will and will not accept to run.

But that is part of the problem.  I think everyone involved here are
basically technology-driven souls to whom the best technology is always
the best solution.  And when people seek the advice of such souls, they
generally get an unbiased sincere response based on the current technological
state of the industry.

To me, the Apache Group is a technology-driven entity.  If we, as a
technology-driven group stick up a banner that tells the world that Wusage
is *the* log analysis tool to use with Apache.  It may or may not be.  I have
no idea.  There may very well be much better free software out there that
does the same thing.  If not today, then perhaps in a month.  I think it
would hurt the integrity of the group to be pitching commercial software.

If the group needs money for some reason, then let us address this as a
separate issue.  I would easily pay $100/month to keep an ad off of
www.apache.org if the money was needed for something worthwhile.

-Rasmus