httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: sfio [was Re: mmap patch for Apache-1.0.5]
Date Fri, 24 May 1996 21:08:15 GMT
Jim Jagielski wrote:

> John Heidemann wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, 24 May 1996 14:11:28 EDT, Robert S. Thau wrote:
> > >Ummmm... hate to keep harping on sfio, but it *does* do this sort of thing
> > >by default, on systems where mmap is available (among its other nice features).
> > >It would be interesting to see how performance with this patch compares to the
> > >unmodified distribution linked against the sfio stdio-compatibility headers
> > >and/or libs...
> >
> > I haven't been following Apache development for long, but it seems
> > like Apache-1.1's buff.c (a fairly small, Apache-specific stdio
> > replacement) fills a similar role as sfio (a presumably large, but
> > well-exercised and complete, stdio replacement done at Bell Labs).
> > I'm not sure you'd want both of them in Apache since their purposes
> > are so similar.  Which you want depends on how you trade-off size
> > vs. completeness vs. having-the-person-who-wrote-it-on-your-mailing-list.
> >

> At least on my machines, there is a BIG difference (improvement, that is)
> between 1.0.5 and 1.1b3 (even when I disable the shared-mem scoreboard
> stuff).
>
> I think that John is right... That Ben's buff does get around some of

Akshly, its David's ;-) I just did the rprintf... and fixed the bug...

> the speed limitations in many stdios without requiring mmap, which
> some nasty SysVs don't have... Not sure how easy it would be to
> "port" it to shmget()... I'm sure it would be tough since the
> philosophy between mmap and shmget are so different.

It can't be ported to shmget() when used in this role ... there is no way to
map a file into shm. Simply reading the file into shm would be just like
reading it into a user buffer, only slower (probably).

The role in which mmap() and shmget() can be interchanged is the provision of
shared memory, an entirely different kettle of fish.

Cheers,

Ben.

> --
> Jim Jagielski  << jim@jaguNET.com >>   |      "That's a Smith & Wesson,
>   **  jaguNET Access Services  **      |       and you've had your six"
>       Email: info@jaguNET.com          |             - James Bond
> ++    http://www.jaguNET.com/         +++      Voice/Fax: 410-931-3157       ++

London, England.