httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Ben Laurie <...@gonzo.ben.algroup.co.uk>
Subject Re: Suggested changes
Date Thu, 16 May 1996 19:26:51 GMT
rasmus@madhaus.utcs.utoronto.ca wrote:

> It is a bit irritating that the Apache conf.h file uses HAVE_MMAP to
> determine whether it should include sys/mman.h.  HAVE_* is the standard
> naming mechanism for autoconf-generated configure scripts and in the case
> of the mmap() call, there are systems out there that have mmap but do
> not have the sys/mman.h header file.  This means that any Apache module
> that uses mmap and uses configure to check for the presence of this function
> will have compile problems on certain platforms.  I think that if we are
> not going to use autoconf for Apache, then we could at least make sure that
> the Apache-specific macros do not conflict with autoconf.

I'd like to see all the HAVE_, HAS_, DOES_, DOESNT_ stuff sorted out, too.
Whilst I'm no fan of autoconf (see httpd-list passim) I see no reason not to
make it easier to use.

> Also, how about removing the debug code from alloc.c?  I think the memory
> pool code has been tested now.  The calls to chk_on_blk_list() and the
> function itself can probably be removed.

Perhaps #if them out but don't remove them.

>  The memset() call in make_sub_pool()
> could probably go too.  Is there a good reason to 0 out the pool on creation?

Stuff relies on things being zeroed but I seem to remember it happens
elsewhere, too?

Cheers,

Ben.

> -Rasmus