httpd-dev mailing list archives

From "Roy T. Fielding" <field...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Subject Re: Problems with Content Negociation (fwd)
Date Wed, 15 May 1996 20:33:39 GMT
>> I propose that Apache be updated to default */* to a low q factor, if no
>> other q factor is explicitly provided by the client.  Explit MIME types such
>> as image/jpeg presumably default to q of .5, so they would be supplied in
>> preference to something like image/png.
>
> I actually wanted to do this long ago, but Roy *insisted* on a letter-
> perfect implementation of the mechanism specified in the then-current
> HTTP/1.0 draft, which required the current (IMHO, broken) behavior.
> If it's fine with him to change it now, it's *certainly* fine with me...

No, what I said is that I wouldn't change the protocol definition just
because some popular browser had its head up its ass (or words to
that effect).  I added the weasel words

   The algorithm presented above assumes that the user agent has
   correctly implemented the protocol and is accurately communicating
   its intentions in the form of Accept-related header fields. The
   server may alter its response if it knows that the particular
   version of user agent software making the request has incorrectly
   or inadequately implemented these fields.

specifically due to our discussions, and there is no reason why Apache
can't do the right thing in the face of broken requests.

.....Roy