httpd-dev mailing list archives

From Rob McCool <r...@netscape.com>
Subject Re: (fwd) Re: Apache vs Netscape Commerce Server
Date Wed, 22 May 1996 21:10:35 GMT
sameer wrote:
> > As I understand it, under NS 1.x, which he's running because 2.0
> > isn't on BSDI yet, the min and max process settings very similarly
> > to the way they behave on Apache. The server starts 16 processes and
> > spawns up to 16 more as they're needed.
>
>         That's not the way apache works.

Oh. Well, it was the last time I looked (which was a long time ago).

So the way Apache works now is that it starts with StartServers
processes, will allow growth only up to a total of MaxClients, with a
number of spares between MinSpareServers and MaxSpareServers. Right?

Seems like a more intuitive model from a configuration standpoint.
--
Rob McCool, robm@netscape.com http://home.netscape.com/people/robm/
Stunt Programmer, Netscape Communications Corporation