httpd-dev mailing list archives

From r..@ai.mit.edu (Robert S. Thau)
Subject Re: An idea for state saving
Date Fri, 31 May 1996 16:12:32 GMT
  Yes indeed. The classic multiplexer approach. It *is* tricky, but
  least expensive from a hardware standpoint, generally speaking.
  You put your $$$ into one (or several) extremely fast channels to
  the back end database engine.

Ummmm... I thought we were talking about software architecture, not
hardware architecture.  If your pipes to the back end are ethernet,
FDDI, or heck, even fast serial lines, you can run TCP on them, open
a separate TCP virtual circuit for each client process (a/k/a "socket"),
and let the kernel sort out who gets what, with no fuss and bother at
all in the server software.  Or, I suppose, you can open the raw device,
talk at it directly, and sort out the mess yourself... but in the end,
you're likely to wind up reinventing at least the IP layer, and quite
possibly winding up with more overhead than if you'd used the IP layer
you already had.  I *think*... assuming of course, that we are in fact
both talking about the same thing in the first place.

rst